Creamy Green Smoothie
Serves: 2 people
Time: 20 minutes
1/3 cup cashew nuts
a handful each of spinach & kale
2 tsp Moringa Powder
2 cups Coconut Water
Add all ingredients to your blender, and blend! Top with goji berries, coconut chips and a sprinkle of chia seeds!
Moringa has medicinal properties and contains many healthful compounds such as:
· vitamin A
· vitamin B1 (thiamine)
· B2 (riboflavin)
· B3 (niacin), B-6
· folate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
· It is also extremely low in fats and contains no harmful cholesterol.
Fast facts on moringa:
· The tree is native to India but also grows in Asia, Africa, and South America.
· Moringa contains a variety of proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
· Moringa oleifera has few known side effects.
· People taking medication should consult a doctor before taking moringa extract.
What are the benefits?
Moringa is believed to have many benefits and its uses range from health and beauty to helping prevent and cure diseases. The benefits of moringa include.
Protecting and nourishing skin and hair
Protecting the liver
Preventing and treating cancer
Treating stomach complaints
Fighting against bacterial diseases
Making bones healthier
Treating mood disorders
Protecting the cardiovascular system
Helping wounds to heal
Protecting against kidney disorders
Reducing high blood pressure
Improving eye health
Treating anemia and sickle cell disease
Although Moringa may have very few reported side effects, a healthcare professional should be consulted before it is taken.
Anyone considering using moringa is advised to discuss it with a doctor first.
Moringa may possess anti-fertility qualities and is therefore not recommended for pregnant women.
There have been very few side effects reported.
People should always read the label on the extract and follow dosage instructions.
Some of the medications to be particularly aware of are:
· Levothyroxine: Used to combat thyroid problems. Compounds in the moringa leaf may aid the thyroid function, but people should not take it in combination with other thyroid medication.
· Any medications that might be broken down by the liver: Moringa extract may decrease how quickly this happens, which could lead to various side effects or complications.
· Diabetes medications: Diabetes medications are used to lower blood sugar, which moringa also does effectively. It is vital to ensure blood sugar levels do not get too low.
· High blood pressure medication: Moringa has shown to be effective at lowering blood pressure. Taking moringa alongside other drugs that lower blood pressure may result in it becoming too low.
Can it aid weight loss?
Evidence has shown that moringa extract can be effective in reducing and controlling weight gain in mice. Its high vitamin B content helps with smooth and efficient digestion and can assist the body when converting food into energy, as opposed to storing it as fat.
Moringa is thought to:
· reduce weight gain
· help to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
· prevent inflammation
· help the body convert fats into energy
· reduce fatigue and improve energy levels